The Golden Visa Program is the first choice for foreign investors to be granted a residence permit through five-year investment activity in the portuguese territory.
With a starting investment of at least 280.000€ or 350.000€, temporary residence permit holders will have the right to reside in Portugal and travel visa-free within the 26 member-state countries of the Schengen area. The main investor and co-dependents will gain the right to work in Portugal, free education and a protected healthcare system.
The minimum required stay in the country, for only seven days per year, makes the Golden Visa program one of the fastest growing investment for immigration programs, currently in Europe.
All foreign-country citizens who conduct an investment activity as an individual business person or through a company set up in Portugal (or any other EU member-state), who are also stably settled in Portugal, can apply for a residence permit for investment, as long as they fulfill the requirements, by one of the following routes:
The Resident Authorization for Investment Activity (ARI) regime, in force October 8, 2012, allows third-country nationals to obtain a temporary residence permit for investment activity with the residence visa to enter national territory, is granted by a period of two year, renewable for a period of three years and presupposes the maintenance of the investment for a minimum period of 5 years and the permanence in Portuguese territory, of 7 days (followed or interpolated), in the first year, and 14 days (followed or interpolated) in the subsequent
two-year periods. The ARI regime is not applicable to citizens who have Portuguese nationality and nationals of the U.E. and the EEA. The application must be submitted to the Regional Delegations of the Foreigners and Borders Service.
The beneficiary has the possibility to:
- To enter in Portugal with dispensation of residence visa;
- To reside and work in Portugal, to remain in Portugal at least for one period of 7 days in the first year and not less than 14 days in the years subsequently;
- Circulate through the Schengen area, without visa requirements;
- Benefit from family reunification (authorization extended to family members of investor);
- Request the granting of Permanent Residence Authorization under the terms of the Foreigners Law (Law no. 23/2007, of July 4, with the current wording);
- Possibility of requesting the acquisition of Portuguese nationality after 6 years, for naturalization, fulfilling the other requirements required by the Nationality Law.
Who can apply?
All nationals of Third States who are exercising in investment, either in person or through a company incorporated in Portugal or in another State and with a permanent establishment in Portugal, in one of the following possibilities:
- The transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 1 million euros;
- The creation of at least 10 jobs;
- The acquisition of one or more properties of value equal or superior to 500 thousand euros, investment in real estate is restricted “to the territory of the CIM’s [Intermunicipal Communities] in the interior and the Autonomous Regions of Madeira and the Azores, that excludes the metropolitan areas of Lisbon and Porto;
- Acquisition of properties older than 30 years or located in rehabilitation areas rehabilitation works with an overall value equal to or greater than 350,000 Euros, investment in real estate is restricted “to the territory of the CIM’s [Intermunicipal Communities] in the interior and the Autonomous Regions of Madeira and the Azores, that excludes the metropolitan areas of Lisbon and Porto;
This type of investment includes: Commercial or residential real estate, properties acquired in co-ownership, provided that the investor’s share is in the minimum value, real estate acquired individually or through shares of which the investor is a partner, leased real estate and real estate in excess of the minimum amount of the investment.
- Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 350,000.00 Euros for public or private national scientific research institutions;
- Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 250,000.00 Euros for investment or support for artistic production, recovery or maintenance of the national culture;
- Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 500,000.00 Euros applied acquisition of units of investment funds or risk of capitalization of small and medium-sized enterprises;
- Investment activities may be subject to a 20% discount on the total value, if they are carried out in areas with low population density (less than 100 inhabitants per km²) or if the GDP of that region is below 75% of the average national.
The following family members of the resident are entitled to Family Reunification:
Minor or incapable children in the charge of the couple or one of the wife/husband;
Minors adopted by the applicant when not married, by the applicant or by the wife/husband, as a result of a decision of the competent authority of the country of origin, provided that the law of that country recognizes the rights and duties adopted for the adopted person as being identical to those of natural parentage and that the decision is recognized by Portugal.
Adult children, dependent on the couple or one of the spouses, who are single and who are studying in an educational establishment in Portugal.
The older children, in charge of the couple or one of the spouses, who are single and are studying.
The ascendants in the straight line and in the 1st degree of the resident or his/her spouse, as long as they are in his/her care.
Minor siblings, provided that they are under the guardianship of the resident, in accordance with a decision issued by the competent authority of the country of origin and provided that this decision is recognized by Portugal.
The following are also considered family members for the purposes of family reunification of the unaccompanied minor refugee:
1st degree direct ascendants.
Your legal guardian or any other family member, if the refugee does not have direct ancestors or it is not possible to locate them.
They are considered family members for the purposes of family reunification of the holder of a residence permit for study, unpaid professional internship or volunteering;
Minor or incapable children in the care of the couple or one of the spouses;
Minors adopted by the applicant when not married, by the applicant or by the spouse, as a result of a decision of the competent authority of the country of origin, provided that the law of that country recognizes the rights and duties adopted for the adopted person as being identical to those of natural parentage and that the decision is recognized by Portugal.
Civil union – Family reunification can be authorized with:
The partner who maintains, in national territory or abroad, with the resident foreign citizen a de facto union, duly proven under the terms of the law;
Unmarried minor or disabled children, including the adopted children of the de facto partner, provided that they are legally entrusted to them.